Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Camping
This past weekend we tried camping as a family for the first time. We went with a friend who camps every year and had a ton of camping gear and knowledge of how camping works. I was a little scared at first how the kids are going to do but I will tell you that we had a blast. We got to the camp site on Friday afternoon. We took an hour or so to set up camp, and then we headed into town to find a bite to eat. It was so hot and humid that day that by the time we set up camp we were all a sweaty mess. We found a local place that had pretty good food. Before we left Brandon and I took a picture in the cardboard cutout of a surfer holding his girl. It thought it was a funny picture. The first night we got the kids down in the tents and were excited about spending sometime together as adults playing card games and talking. Unfortunately things did not turn out like we planned. It was not long after got the kids down that it started pouring down rain. I mean POURING! We were in a screen tent that covered the picnic table and we got DRENCHED. Finally we called it a night and went into our tents with our scared children. I am very thankful that we did not get washed away in the storm. I found out the next morning that there were 2 tents in the camp ground that were flattened by the storm, not to mention how many people had everything they owned soaked. After taking a shower, yes I showered while camping, we headed back into town. Brandon took Daniel and Jessie fishing while Cori and I took Monica and hit the shops. We did not buy much but it was fun to hang out together. After a day of fun downtown we went back to the camp and then down to the beach. The kids LOVED the beach. Daniel and Monica had a blast and could have stayed there all night. We did leave around 7 and got them all cleaned up and then made a campfire dinner, smores and then got the kids off to bed. Then Cori, Brandon and I sat by the fire looking at the stars and enjoyed conversation with friends. We had a great time and I look forward to doing it again sometime soon. 
Down at the beach.
Brandon, Jessie and Daniel heading out to go fishing. They did not catch anything. I think the storm the night before scared all the fish away.
Our tent that we got for $50 of craigslist. I think that we got a great deal. It is big and very waterproof!

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment