My kids also enjoy the warm weather. Daniel ran off to school today in shorts and sandals, although he insisted on wearing socks with his sandals. That was a fight I was not willing to pursue, so off he went to kindergarten dressed like an 80 year old man, wearing shorts with his socks pulled up and sandals. I love this kid!
Monica had a chance to play in a small kiddie pool with her friend Leah. They took turns pouring buckets of water over each other heads. It was really amusing to watch. Leah would take the bucket and pour it on Monica and then gently hand the bucket over and the Monica would do the same. They splashed and played for almost an hour and a half.
Olivia sat on the side lines chewing on her lady bug toy and just watching the commotion. I know that she enjoyed being outdoors as well. We all got some much needed vitamin D, which holds many benefits, including curing the common cabin fever.
Besides that we did not do much today. I have been putting off the need to pack and clean. I am not sure how much longer I can use the excuse "I need some boxes" for my lack of productivity around the house. Honestly I just don't feel like packing up.
As much as this little 2 bedroom apartment has driven me nuts, all 5 of us cramped into such a small space, this has been my home for the past 4 years, and it is hard to think about moving from it. A lot has happened since we moved here. We have added two beautiful daughters to our family, we have cried through three family deaths, we have seen our little boy grow from a non talking 2 year old into a intelligent know it all kindergartner, we have made wonderful friends, and well, what I guess what I am trying to say is I am going to miss seminary life. I know shocking right? I think so too. After all the last 4 years I have used terms like "seminary widow" as I struggled at times to manage life without my husband as he worked to meet the requirements of his degree. I have complained about my apartment being small and cramped. I have often wondered if we were ever going to be done with this part of our lives and move on into careers like everyone else our age.
But somehow looking back, it does not seem all that bad. The small apartment has taught us all that things are not that important. The lack of finances has taught us to be reliant on God and his people for help. The times where I was alone showed that I am a strong woman who can take care of my family. So really even though I have spent years complaining about one thing or another, the truth is, I will miss all of this. I will miss friends being 2 feet from my door who are always willing to have a cup of tea, or listen to my whining. I will miss taking my kids outside to play and before I know it 10 kids and all the parents are out there too, and we spend a couple of hours in conversation. I will miss the community of seminary. Soon we will be thrown into the "big bad world" where people are not as willing to get to know you, and not all neighbors are good and trustworthy.
So I guess what I am trying to say is, I will miss you small 700 square foot apartment. I will miss you great friends and neighbors who have helped carry me through the good and the bad times. I will miss you tiny court yard with no grass where my children played day after day laughing and giggling with others. I will miss you Calvin Seminary. Thanks for a wonderful 4 years.
Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment