Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Adventures in potty training part 2

Today is day two of potty training Monica. I was able to do laundry last night and I got all her wet pairs of pants cleaned and ready to go for another round. First thing this morning after she woke up we placed her on the potty. She was NOT a happy camper. The first thing Monica wants to do every morning is eat. After her fit this morning it was clear that the LAST thing she wanted to do was go potty. After much persistence she finally went pee! Yeah! So we put her in underwear and started the day.

About every 30-45 minutes I would take her in to the potty. Sometimes she would go with no problems, sometimes she would throw HUGE fits. I found out that the times she throws the fits are the times she needs to go potty. Through out the morning she went one more time and had no accidents. Before lunch I sat her on the potty and she cried and cried. I figured I would give it a rest and let her eat. Well that back fired because while she was in her booster she had an accident. After lunch I put her back on the potty and she threw the biggest fit so far in this process. She actually cried so hard that she spit up her juice that she had just had with her lunch. After she calmed down she had her first poo in the potty! GO MONICA! After fighting her all morning that was the encouragement that I needed to keep trying. I rewarded her heavily with two stickers and 4 smarties. I then put her in the "big girl nap time underwear" (a pull up) and laid her down.

After nap she was a little wet but I still sat her on the potty. She threw another HUGE fit. She was pushing herself half off the potty, or sitting sideways so her bottom was half off the toilet. Well one of the times she was half off the toilet she peed and it went all over the floor. I sat her straight and explained that she needs to sit correctly on the toilet. She cried but then ended up peeing even more in the toilet.

This afternoon she has gone potty several times. We are still in our second pair of underwear. It is 7 PM, one hour until bed, and we are way ahead of where we were yesterday.

Summary of day 2: 13 potty chart stickers, 5 successful trips to the potty, and so far only 1 pair of wet underwear! Maybe this method does work! We will see how tomorrow goes.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go monica go! Sounds like its working. Wish I got a sticker everytime I went potty! :-)