Thursday, April 16, 2009

Motherhood

I have found that being a mother is full of interesting experiences. My day is filled with chasing little ones through the house, cleaning up messes, breaking up fights, and struggling to keep some sort of peace and sanity in this house. Speaking of which I broke my son's poor little heart in a about a million pieces a couple of days ago. I have not been to the grocery store in a little over a week and we are starting to run low on things to make for dinner. I was rummaging through the fridge when I saw the prefect thing! There before my eyes were 8 very colorful very carefully decorated hard boil easter eggs that would be perfect for egg salad sandwiches. I paused for a moment knowing that if Daniel was to find out that mommy "killed" his easter eggs he would be heart broken. I justified my actions by saying that if we don't eat them they will go bad soon and I would have to throw them out anyway, and what a waste right? So I got them out, cracked each one open and made my egg salad. When I called everyone in for dinner Daniel asked "mommy what are we having?" I calmly replied "Egg Salad." His eyes grew really big as if he knew that mommy used HIS eggs! He looked right at me and said "did you use my easter eggs?" At that point I was not sure what to do. I could not say "yes" because that would be admitting to my crime, and I could not say "No" because that is lying and around here we get into BIG trouble for lying. So I said nothing. Daniel then ran to the fridge swung the door open and in a frantic shuffle began looking for his eggs. Knowing that he was not going to find them, I tried to encourage him to stop going through the fridge and I would help him later. That was good enough for now. He sad down and we all had a wonderful dinner of egg salad. After dinner Daniel immediately got up and went to the fridge again. I knew that I could not hold the truth from him any longer. I went up to him and explained to him as sweetly as possible that eggs are food and that if we did not eat them they would go bad just like other food. Mommy made his Easter eggs into egg salad and we had them for dinner because if I did not I would have had to throw them away. I them handed him the 4 googly eyes that I pulled off his two favorite eggs and told him he could keep them for another art project. Daniel looked down at the googly eyes in his hand and them burst in to tears. He ran into the living room mourning his Easter eggs! I immediately had flash backs to my childhood where I remember eating a wonderful dinner only to find out that it was my pet rabbit Rodger! Oh my poor Daniel! I went in there and tried to console him by again explaining that food has to be eaten or it would go bad. Then I told him I had a good idea. We could take one of his plastic eggs, and he could decorate it however he wanted, and he could keep that egg as his special egg for ever and ever. He was so excited and soon he forgave mommy for braking up his Easter eggs and feeding them to him for dinner.



1 comment:

Andrea said...

Sweet Memory and great blog post. Is there a little boy named Daniel that might want to hug his AUNTIE today?