Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Weekend

This Christmas weekend has been very interesting to say the least. Christmas Eve morning we woke up and all got ready to be out the door by 9 am. We quickly dropped Olivia off at the baby sitter (Thanks again Janna!) and then off to Harrisonville for Grandma's funeral. It was snowing when we left, but thankfully the roads were not too bad. During the visitation I got a text from my sister telling me that she was heading to the hospital for a blood transfusion. I of course flipped out. Come to find out her hemoglobin count was very low and she had to get a transfusion immediately. Two days later and they are still not sure the cause of her low blood count. She heads back to the doctor in a few days to hopefully see what is going on.

All Friday night I had a hard time sleeping because my throat was hurting so bad. By Saturday morning I could not swallow hardly anything and throughout the morning I got worse and worse. Turns out I have strep throat and I spent the rest of the day in bed fighting a fever and chills. As Brandon put it "when mom is sick Christmas dinner turns into grilled ham and cheese and chicken nuggets." I spent most of Sunday in bed as well, and today I have felt a bit better, although I know I am not 100%. Today Monica woke up with a rash all over her bottom and sores on her lip. After taking her to the doctor I found out she has Strep Impetigo and she was put on antibiotics. I am just praying that no one else gets this because it is highly contagious.

Besides the negatives that were mentioned above I had a wonderful time with my family at Christmas. The kids loved opening their presents and were a lot of fun to watch. Daniel got a MP3 player and you would have thought we have him a million bucks. He also got a buzz light year that he has not put down since he opened it. When I asked him what his favorite gift was he categorized his gifts making it where he had several favorites. He said he favorite toy gift was buzz lightyear, his favorite electronic gift was his MP3 player, his favorite alive gift was his Guinea Pig (which has been named Mrs. Frisby) and his favorite gift to put on his bed was his pillow pet. All I can say to his categorizing answer to such a simple question is "professor jr!"

Monica and Olivia got a toy kitchen which they both really love. Olivia also got a dog to sleep with that sings and says her name, which she thinks is great. Monica's favorite thing she got from Nanny and Papa which was a Mobigo hand held game system. She calls it her "DS" and carries it around acting like Daniel.

For me, Brandon bought me a digital SLR camera. I could not be more excited when I opened it. I have wanted one for 5 years, and my excitement when I opened it could not be contained. I am very excited to learn how to use it. He also got me some wool socks and a pair of house shoes, which I love. I am not sure if I will ever wear cotton socks again during winter months. They are WONDERFUL!

For Brandon I bought him a frame for his PHD diploma. I think that it looks very nice in it's new frame, and it is about time that we got it up on the wall. It is now proudly hanging with the rest of his diplomas. And tonight he went to Arrowhead and picked up a ticket to go the chiefs playoff game. He is so pleased, I don't think that he has stopped smiling since he got home. He and our friend Steven Enoch will be going together to cheer on the chiefs to hopefully their first play off win since 1994.

I will be posting pictures soon, but I am tired tonight, so I will leave you with this update.

No comments: