Tuesday, September 09, 2008

My baby is growing up!

Last year Daniel was put into a two day a week speech class. This class has changed all of our lives and Daniel LOVED it. We decided that this year he needed to be in that class again so that by the time he is in kindergarden he will not be held back because of his speech difficulties. It was a long and hard decision on what to do for this year but finally we decided that the best thing to do would be to have him in speech two mornings a week and preschool two mornings a week. We were very happy with our decision and told Daniel all about what was going to happen.

Well, turns out that is not what happened. There was a misunderstanding amongst the staff that registered him for school this year. He is scheduled to be in preschool 4 mornings a week and in speech two afternoons. I talked to his teacher from last year for a while yesterday to try to figure out what will happen next. She said that she will observe him this week and see what his current speech needs are and then next week we will see what happens next.

I had been telling Daniel all summer that he was going to be in Ms Jodi's class one day and then in with Ms Chris. When I told him that he was no longer going to be with Ms. Chris he was very very sad. We talked this morning about how he will have fun with Ms. Jodi and that he is getting to be such a big boy he does not need to be in Ms. Chris' class anymore. He kept telling me that I said he was going to be in with Ms. Chris. Trying to explain to a 4 year old that plans have changed is not an easy thing to do.

So today I loaded up my baby girl and my disappointed big boy into the van and off to preschool we went. After we got there I told Daniel he could go into his class and he took my hand and struck up into me and said "All by myself". My heart broke. I fought the tears and walked him over to his coat hook and helped him get settled. As I gave him one more hug and kiss it took everything in me to let go! As I turned to leave I found myself fighting more tears. I thought about him all the way home, and all this morning.

I know that I am not the first mother to cry leaving their baby at school. I am also sure that this will not be the last time I cry leaving my baby in a place where he is not that comfortable. And I am also sure that each time I have to walk away will be just as hard as the last.

On a lighter note this morning Daniel was getting ready for school and I just hear him grunting and groaning. I went into his room to see what in the world he is doing and I found him trying to pull up his pants without unbuttoning them. I explained to him that it would be easier if he would unbutton his pants. He said "Mom I can do it!" and then with another big grunt and a pull he said "see mom I am using my muscles!" After a couple more tries he said "Mom I will let you know if I change my mind okay." Then he pulled one more time as hard as he could, then he said 'okay I changed my mind" He finally unbuttons the button and easily pulled up his pants and went on his way!

What a funny kid!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I LOVE reading your updates...keep them coming.