Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Daniel's Life Lesson

Daniel has been struggling with his handwriting at school. He likes to rush through things to get them done quickly and because of that most of what he writes is not legible. Every Friday he has a spelling test and we work throughout the week to make sure he is ready for his test. This past Monday Daniel brought home his test from last Friday. He got three answers wrong, all because his teacher could not read what letters he was putting. I as very disappointed and we had a long talk about this, and I told Daniel he would need to practice at home.

So the practicing began. I got him several tools to help him and every night he has been sitting down to write. Last night he was very upset with me because his friends wanted him to come and play, but instead it was time for him to practice his handwriting. He cried and cried and told me I was mean. He said that it was not fair that "I always make him do whatever I want him to do." It was hard to hear him be so upset with me, but I continued to explain my reasoning and made him finish his task.

Today Daniel came home and said 'I have a surprise for you." He pulled out of his back pack his writing paper for the day. He got three smiley faces and and star. His teacher said that she could tell he had been practicing and she was very proud of him. He was smiling from ear to ear. I praised him and gave him a mini reese's peanut butter cup, and hung his work on the fridge. At dinner tonight Daniel said "Mommy thank you so much for making me practice my handwriting. When you were doing that I did not like it, but you were right, my handwriting is getting better. I want to practice every night." I love that he understood that I was not being mean and hateful, but instead I was doing what was best for him. I know that there are many more moments like this to come.

I love you Danny Boy!!!!!

No comments: